Update on the substitution of medicines in the event of shortages
- bioavailability differences
- modified-release characteristics
- formulation difference of effect
- patient familiarity
- different licensed indications
Consistency of medicine supply.
- Medicines should be prescribed by brand name in the following situations:
- Where there is a difference in bioavailability between brands of the same medicine
- Where modified-release (MR) preparations are not interchangeable
- Where there are important differences in formulation between brands of the same medicine
- Where administration devices have different instructions for use and patient familiarity with one product is important
- Where the product is a biological rather than chemical entity
- Where products contain more than one ingredient and brand-name prescribing aids identification
- Where branded and generic preparations have different licensed indications
- For some patients, where differences in product name, presentation, appearance or taste may lead to anxiety, confusion, dosing errors and reduced adherence
Reporting of suspected adverse reactions
Reporting suspected adverse reactions (side effects) after authorisation of the medicinal product is important. It allows continued monitoring of the benefit/risk balance of the medicinal product. Healthcare professionals or patients are asked to report any suspected adverse reactions via the Yellow Card Scheme at yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store.
Disclaimer: This site is designed to offer information for general educational purposes only. The health information furnished on this site and the interactive responses are not intended to be professional advice and are not intended to replace personal consultation with a qualified physician, pharmacist, or other healthcare professional. We cannot provide individual medical advice. You must always seek the advice of a professional for questions related to a disease, disease symptoms, and appropriate therapeutic treatments.
Sharable Article Link : https://keepmeinformed.eu/Article?articleGuid=a5c2a020-ce99-461b-8cf3-c0c18d996b47